During 1956–1961, Professor Franz Mayinger started his professional life as a research assistant at the “Lehrstuhl” (chair) and Institute of Thermodynamics at the Technische Universität München (the Munich Technical University), München, Germany. After completing his Dr.-Ing. in 1961, Professor Franz Mayinger joined MAN Nürnberg as a Chief Engineer and the Research Department Head for Nuclear and Process Engineering from 1962 to 1969. He started his academic life in the Institut für Verfahrenstechnik der Universität Hannover (Institute of Chemical Engineering, University of Hannover), Hannover, Germany, as full professor and director in 1969. During 1973/1974 and 1979/1980, Professor Franz Mayinger served as Dean of the Mechanical Engineering Department at the Universität Hannover (University of Hannover), Hannover, Germany. He then became a director for the prestigious Chair of the Thermodynamics A at the Technische Universität München (the Munich Technical University), München, Germany, in 1981. Professor Franz Mayinger was a deserving successor to this chair that had been held before by Carl von Linde (June 11, 1842–Nov. 16, 1934), Moritz Schröter (Feb. 25, 1851–Mar. 12, 1925), Ernst Kraft Wilhelm Nusselt (Nov. 25, 1882–Sept. 1, 1957), Ernst Schmidt (Feb. 11, 1892–Jan. 22, 1975), and Ulrich Grigull (Mar. 12, 1912–Oct. 20, 2003). Professor Franz Mayinger initiated the first research in the multiphase flow field. He continued the heat convection examination and encouraged combustion research. In addition, he implemented using of new optical measurement techniques like laser-induced fluorescence and holographic interferometry in the institute. Furthermore, he was involved in the Seventh International Heat Transfer Conference (IHTC-7), at the Technische Universität München (the Munich Technical University), München, Germany, Sept. 6–10, 1982. IHTC-7 was organized under the authority of the Assembly for International Heat Transfer Conferences by DECHEMA Deutsche Gesellschaft für chemisches Apparatewesen e.V., Frankfurt/Main, Germany, in cooperation with the International Scientific Committee, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chemie-und Verfahrenstechnik (DGCV), and the German Scientific and Executive Committees. Also, he was elected as the Dean of the Mechanical Engineering Department at the Technische Universität München (the Munich Technical University), München, Germany, during 1986/1987. Finally, he became an Emeritus Professor of this chair in 1999. During 1995–1998, he was the founding Dean of the Faculty for Applied Natural Sciences at the Bayreuth University, Bayreuth, Germany. From 1998 to 2009, he had been the Chairman of the Board of this university. He served as the member of Reactor Safety Commission at the Federal Department of Environment (1971–1992) and the Chairman of this Commissions in 1983/1984 and in 1990, Chairman of the Commission of Accidents and Failures in Chemical Plants at the Federal Department of Environment (1992–1996), member of the Advisory Board of Science and Technology of the Government of Bavaria (1993–1999), and member of the Senate of the German Research Society (1977–1983). From 1991 to 1997, he was a member of the Advisory Board for Science of the Federal Government of Germany. Within the period of 1998–2002, he was the Scientific Chairman of the Bavarian Elite Academy. He has been frequently invited as a lecturer and speaker by different institutions in the Europe, U.S., China, Japan, and other countries.